Thursday, April 23, 2020

Wednesday, October 13

Bud has been home for three days with a sore throat

Wednesday, October 13 - Met Marie and went to Sav-on. As poor as I am I hope they don't call me. What a mess! The four of us had coffee together and then home to wait it out.

Thursday, October 14 - Dodgers won the pennant. Rained all day. Didn't budge out of the house. Lucille Simpson died at 4 this morning. We may go down Sunday.

Friday, October 15 - Went to the store to pick up my check. Kroger will mail them. Stayed home the rest of the day. Bought groceries at Thriftway.

Mom and her friends are busy trying to find work. Sav-On was an independent store on the Kansas side of the State Line, and as I remember it, was more warehouse than supermarket. Industrial metal buildings and bare concrete floors were not impressive to my mom's way of thinking. The sound echoed around those places like a box canyon.

My dad was a big Dodgers fan, mostly, I think, on the strength of Sandy Koufax, although dad seemed to talk a lot about Walter Alston. I was a Don Dysdale fan. I don't think mom had a dog in the fight, but the pennant is duly noted.

Lucille Simpson is the wife of my Uncle Clarence, dad's brother. He and Lucille live in Cherryvale, Kansas. She died young, at fifty-four. It's a couple of hundred miles to Cherryvale from home, so any trip there will be an adventure. I'd bet we'll stop in Fort Scott and pick up Grandma Simpson.

Mom can't even cross the picket lines to get her paycheck.

No comments:

Post a Comment