Wednesday, October 10, 2018

Sunday, October 10

Click to enlarge
October 10, Sunday - Bud and I dumped Marv at Mary's and we went driving. Let Bud drive some. went to Bethel Cemetery and then to Topeka. Butchers are picketing and they're locking us out, too. Poor Mickey. She's so upset.

October 11, Monday - Cindy's birthday. Got my hair fixed. In touch with all the girls from the store. We'll show up for work.

October 12, Tuesday - Went to work, but couldn't cross the line. Went down and signed up for compensation. Doubt that we'll get it, but we'll see. Went to two Thriftway stores for work.

Mom tossed me the keys to the Cadillac in downtown Leavenworth, Kansas and I drove the nine or so miles out to the cemetery so mom could put some flowers on her dad's grave. Bethel Cemetery is our family reserve, and mom and dad are both buried there. He died in 1974, she died in 1979.

We left the cemetery and I drove the fifty-odd miles to Topeka by way of mom's birthplace, Jarbalo, Kansas. I would have happily driven to Denver. My place has always been behind the wheel.

Cindy is the daughter of my half-brother Bill and his wife Pat.

Mom decides, along with her crew, to show up for work, but she knows full well she won't be able to cross the picket line.

Thriftway was one of a half-dozen independent grocers that took up the slack when the chains locked out the unions.

No comments:

Post a Comment