Thursday, April 23, 2020

Tuesday, October 19

Tuesday, October 19 - Ironed most of the day and spent some of the day in front of the television watching Senator Long investigation. Finished ironing.

Wednesday, October 20 - Took Marv to doctor, has flu. He's worried about Clarence. Watched more of Senator Long. Ball's called me to work tomorrow.

Thursday, October 21 - Worked today for Ball's. One checkstand is like all the rest. Ate lunch at Crown and saw Byron. It looks like a long strike.

Ironing. It's a lost art. I was taught at the age of ten, ands I've never asked anyone else to iron anything for me. Back then almost everything was cotton, dress shirts needed starch, and ironing was a necessary evil.

I honestly don't know what investigation my mom is referring to. If anyone has a notion who Senator Long was and why he or anyone else was being investigated, let me know. It must have been something worth reporting if it was on television.

Dad has the flu, and is concerned for his brother.

Ball's was another Kansas-side independent grocer. Mom got the call to work there for a bit and finds that if you've seen one grocery store, you've seen them all. I will back her up on that.

Byron is Byron Scanlon, co-manager at mom's store on Minnesota Avenue and soon to be store manager at the Kroger store at 60th and Leavenworth Road in Kansas City, Kansas. Super-nice guy, and eleven months from this date, he'd be my first store manager. Mom hooked me up with a job as a sacker just after my 16th birthday. Eleven miles one way from the house in Missouri. Worked my way up in the Kroger system until I moved to Colorado late in 1972.

No comments:

Post a Comment