Thursday, April 23, 2020

Friday, October 22

Friday, October 22 - Worked 5 - 9 - real busy but had a sacker and that helps. went to Thriftway to get groceries. 14 checkstands going full blast, waiting 5 + 6 in each checkstand!

Saturday, October 23 - Patty called this morning and offered to pay my tuition through IBM school. Such a marvel she is!

Sunday, October 24 - Went to Cherryvale again today and on to Coffeyville to Ed's for dinner. Nice day. Beautiful. Clarence is doing all right. Mom Simpson went with us and seemed to enjoy herself.

The other independent stores in Kansas City reaped the rewards of the meat-cutters' strike. Thriftway was owned by the Cascio family, and we would normally never shop there. Dad did, on occasion, buy white Karo corn syrup for his Karp Kandy bait there because they carried it four one gallon cans to a case.

Karp Kandy, Sniffy's green label carp bait was unique in the fish bait universe because it was a white dough bait. I confess that more than once, I ate some of it while I was running the packaging line. It was delicious. All of dad's baits were food-safe recipes. There was nothing in them that could do you much harm. Even the sodium propionate preservative was at levels below your basic loaf of white bread. I also tried dad's experimental anise-flavored bait, and I regularly ate Red Top, Big Thunder, Bud's Best, and once considered for a second the idea of trying some of dad's catfish bait. Once I took the lid off, I changed my mind. Aged, fermented, cheese with just the slightest putrescent aroma of carrion. Yum. Hard pass.*

Dad's Sniffy Bait Trademark Registration with the U.S. Patent Office

Again, IBM is school for punchcard operators. My mom and her sister were closer than you can possibly imagine. 

My aunt Patty died of cancer in 1976. It was really almost too much for my mom to bear. She was as brought down, as pale and unnerved as I had ever seen her.

Back to Cherryvale and Coffeyville. Grandma Simpson went along for the ride.

*Mine was not a delicate palate. I was also fond of Strongheart dog food. Just sayin'.


No comments:

Post a Comment