Wednesday, August 22, 2018

Sunday, August 22

Click to enlarge
August 22, Sunday - Went to church, and Marv took us out to lunch. Stopped at Parkview and bought tickets for "Sound of Music" and then fishing until 7:00.

August 23, Monday - Got hair fixed. Mom, Bud, and I went to Forum for lunch and then to see "Sound of Music". Great, would like to see it again.

August 24, Tuesday - Work today. Usual Tuesday. Cigarettes never got put up. Marie and I worked the front end over.

Lunch was likely Crane's Cafeteria, located at the corner of Truman and Hardesty, one of our regular stops. We were not, as a family, inclined to fine dining, but Crane's was a welcoming, and quite good stop on our culinary itinerary. Their fried chicken was absolutely amazing, but it was offset in my fourteen year-old mind by dad grinning toothlessly and asking for "cornpone" instead of cornbread in the service line. Mortified, I tell you.


Crane's Cafeteria
Straight from food to fishing. How I've avoided therapy is anyone's guess.

The Sound of Music with mom and grandma. Another on our cavalcade of musicals. I didn't mind, and I still love musicals. That Angela Cartwright was in it made it that much better. The Forum was, as you might have guessed, a cafeteria, downtown at 1220 Grand Avenue. It was tantalizingly close to the Wonderland Arcade at 1200 Grand. The Saturday shopping trips when mom would allow me a trip to Wonderland were some of my best memories of downtown KC. Mom became quite adept at Skee-Ball, while I became an accomplished shooting gallery addict.

Wonderland Arcade Skee-Ball
Wonderland Shooting Gallery and Pinball Machines

No comments:

Post a Comment