Wednesday, April 25, 2018

Sunday, April 25

April 25, Sunday - Took care of Greg today. He was fussy in the morning, but did fine afternoon. Mickey stayed for supper. Maxine was here, Mom Simpson came and stayed all night. Gladys was worse.

April 26, Monday - Went to see Gladys first thing. She's better. She had a case of nerves. Went with Marv to pick up stuff. He treats his mother shamefully. Bud was pooped this morning, but went to school anyway.

April 27, Tuesday - Took our laundry over to Mom's and helped her do her laundry, too. Stopped and got a hamburger and donuts for lunch.

Greg was the infant son of mom's coworker Mickey. Mickey was, as I remember her, entirely mom's opposite - a loose cannon, prone to cocktails and misadventure. She drove a British sports car - an MGB, I think, that mom described as riding like a "lumber wagon". The process of getting my mom in and out of an MG would have been something to see.

When my pal Vic went to Coast Guard Basic Training in 1970, I took care of and regularly exercised his Triumph Spitfire while he was gone. Horrible little car. I shoehorned mom into it for a road trip Leavenworth County, Kansas to see the family reserve one day. It was comical, at least for me. She never screamed once.

Maxine was our longtime family friend. My dad never said as much, but Maxine was our lesbian friend. Dad the Baptist showed remarkable restraint in not bringing that up.

My aunt Gladys had a case of nerves. I don't know what that means, nor did I know had dad mistreated his mother.

I was recovering from a weekend at the lake with Ron and his dad. Beer, water, boats, mosquitoes. I went to school because that's where Patty was.

Dad's supply runs could be anything - paper containers, plastic wrap, flavorings - almost anything. See the next post on April 28 for more on that.

Hamburger and donuts for lunch. That's my mom!


No comments:

Post a Comment