Thursday, April 19, 2018

Monday, April 19



Click to enlarge
April 19, Monday - All in today. Spent most of the day in bed. Took Bud to Wards and got him pants.

April 20, Tuesday - Feel better today, but Patty goes to St. Luke's May 2 to be operated on May 3.

April 21, Wednesday - Went to mom's for lunch today. Margaret came over and fixed my hair. 80°

More of life in the margins. For some reason I need pants a lot. My pudgy ass may have been splitting the seats out of them, or one of my surprise growth spurts may have made the old pants look like Capris.

 Remember, this is 1965, and you couldn't wear jeans to school. "Dungarees", they called them. I did get a brief pass when I bought some White Levis. Almost got away with it. I felt like a rebel, if only because the radio ads proclaimed that "Poor Fat Marvin can't wear White Levis. Well, fuck you, Levi Strauss, Marvin wore them anyway! When Mr. McDaniel realized they were jeans, I was sent home to change, and awarded ten suspension hours. "Eighth Hours." It was back to slacks. Black slacks, white socks, suede Chelsea boots. Lather, rinse, repeat.

There were huge cultural differences between regions. My snooty second cousins came down to visit my Uncle Bob and Aunt Mary all the way from their Topeka suburbs and openly sneered at our urban white socks and pointy-toed shoes. I popped him right in the snotlocker. Broke his nose. That's how we dealt with smartasses at Northeast. Sent them packing, and never saw them again.

We were a Montgomery Ward family. Wards had a massive store at the corner of St. John and Belmont. Sears was actually closer to us over at Truman Road and Cleveland, but we did Wards. My aunt Gladys called it "Monkey Wards". We bought everything there - clothes, furniture, tires - my first real camera, a Mamiya/Sekor 1000 DTL SLR came from Wards. Mom bought it for me in 1969, trying to save my miserable life. Eventually, it worked. More on that later.

My first 35mm camera: Mamiya/Sekor 1000 DTL

Mom's sister Patty goers in for an unknown surgery. This family is a medical TV series in the making.


No comments:

Post a Comment