Saturday, January 13, 2018

Wednesday, January 13

Click to enlarge
January 13, Wednesday - Finished inventory today. Good television. Helped Bud with his homework - speech.

January 14, Thursday - Worked hard today. Think Bud broke his foot again. Fell in the back yard and can't stand on his left foot. To Dr. Williamson tomorrow.

January 15, Friday - Going home and eat oats. Worked like a horse - just as well eat like one. Cold 19° at 5 p.m. Bud is back in a cast.

"Good television"? I don't know what mom was watching, but TV was pretty grim on Wednesdays. My best guess for mom's lineup that cold January night in Kansas City:

"The Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet", followed by "The Patty Duke Show", then "The Beverly Hillbillies", "Green Acres", "The Dick Van Dyke Show", and "I Spy". 

I could never figure out what qualified as an "adventure" for Ozzie and Harriet, and most of the show was Ozzie looking lost as David and Rickie gee-whizzed their way through life. Most of those shows I could take or leave. We only had one TV, so I was probably doing something else most of that evening, and would have much preferred to watch "Lost In Space" in the Ozzie Nelson time slot, if only for the horrible nerd-crush I had on the lovely, talented, and doe-eyed Angela Cartwright. Oh well.

Almost a year to the date earlier I broke my left foot - my fifth metatarsal - during a Sunday visit to the Pattons. It swelled up like an eggplant, and into the cast it went. This year was just as bad, probably at the same point on the bone, and the remedy was a cast that went from my toes to just below my knee. It had a rubber platform molded into the bottom of the cast to walk on. It necessitated splitting several pair of slacks up the outseam so I could get dressed and go to school. The first week, I had to stay on crutches so the plaster could set properly. Yeah, right. Winter is no time to have a water-soluble foot covering. Today, they'd put me in a walking boot, and send me on my way.

I was met by howls of derisive laughter when I got back to school, where the challenges were just beginning.

No comments:

Post a Comment