Friday, January 26, 2018

Monday, January 25


January 25, Monday - Took Bud to school. Had hair fixed. Brakes are acting up. I think it would have been a good day to stay in isolation. Had my eyes examined. Marv did the laundry. Bud's cast is loose.

January 26, Tuesday - Didn't sleep well last night - got stuck in the driveway - drove to work without brakes. Streets were slippery as glass. Got brakes fixed. Nice to have brakes again.

January 27, Wednesday - Took Bud back to the Dr. for repair on his cast. He'll have to be off for another 2 days. No school tomorrow or Friday, end of semester.

It was unusual for mom or dad to take me to school. One of the neighbors, the dad of my friend Mike, often packed up the family bus and hauled us off to Northeast, at least in the winter. In better weather, and when I wasn't wearing ten pounds of plaster cast on my leg, I walked. It was barely a mile from the house on Eleventh Street to the school, though it seemed farther. I never had occasion to ride a bus to school. There weren't any buses, anyway.

Mom's basic Monday routine - hairdresser, a trip to Kansas City, Kansas to see Dr. Bosilivac for an eye exam, etc. Now the Cadillac's brakes are acting up.

Brakes handled, slippery streets in Kansas City.

Car brakes were drum-type, not self-adjusting, and at best, a compromise solution for bringing 4,500 pounds of Detroit steel to a stop. Getting it moving was enough of a challenge in bad weather. The Cadillac was a torque-monster, but cars were all rear-wheel drive, and winter driving was a lesson in controlling skids and slides.

Dad made it a point when I was 15 to take me to large, snowy parking lots and let me learn to control a slipping and sideways Cadillac. I still prefer rear-wheel drive.

Again with the leg cast.

No comments:

Post a Comment